[nabs-l] Dealing with Independence in other cultures

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 02:35:35 UTC 2015

My parents are both from the US, but I know a few things from around
the world.  My research on Jamaica tells me that similar to Trinidad
people with disabilities are pretty sheltered.  Jamaica is very
religious so the belief is that families have the responsibility for
taking care of sick or disabled relatives.  I'll be going there in a
few weeks so I'll have to see how they treat someone hoping to give
help rather than take it.

I also have it on good word that there is a place in Switzerland where
there is a "Blind store" (Yes, they call it that) near the train
station, and there is a specially marked tactile path that blind
people can follow all the way from the train station to the front door
of the blind store.  Neat concept, but just a bit unnecessary.

On 5/15/15, Roanna Bacchus via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Dear Students,
>
> I hope each of you had a wonderful semester.  Independence is
> important in different cultures and can mean different things.
> In Trinidad where my parents are from blind people are sheltered
> and protected from certain things.  How do people from other
> cultures on this list deal with independence and pursuing daily
> living skills? I have a friend who was on this list at one time.
> He just comppleted his independence training at World Services
> For The Blind.  Before this his family had a hard time allowing
> him to go visit some other friends, but since receiving his
> independence they are ok with it now.

Kaiti