[nabs-l] Extracting ZIP Files

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:28:49 UTC 2015

Hey Fellow NABSters,

Here I am again with another question regarding my transition from a full-fledged notetaker to a stand-alone Braille display. Since the display I chose (the Braille Edge from HIMS) has some basic notetaking capabilities, I have opted to read BRF content such as Bookshare books using the Notepad application.

 When downloading a Bookshare book recently, I found that I could no longer extract content from a ZIP file as I had done previously with my BrailleNote. The BrailleNote has a built-in ZIP file extractor, which the Edge does not have. Barring this, how do those of you who don't use a BrailleNote unzip these files on a PC? I know there is a built-in extractor in Windows, but from the best I can tell it is pretty complicated and I haven't been very successful with it. Is there a more accessible way to do this? If not, how are you able to extract files in the Windows Explorer extractor? I'm using JAWS on a PC running Windows 7. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Chris Nusbaum