[nabs-l] Writing Checks

Jewel S. herekittykat97 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:25:24 UTC 2015

Here's what I did when I used checks more often:
1. Go to your bank and ask for the checks with the tactile lines
intended for people with vision loss. These, as stated, have tactile
lines that can help you write the check if you know the layout of a
check.
(Another option is to get a check guide, similar to a signature guide
except it is for checks. Again, you need to know what goes where on
the check.)
2. Make an Excel spreadsheet that looks like a page from a check
balancing book. Give it the same categories. Use formulas (such as
=(D2+D3) to get the math done instead of doing the math yourself. Your
checks will be balanced much better than anyone else's if you do this!
3. Get your monthly statement from your bank either in Braille or in
an e-mail. That way you can double check each month's balance (keep in
mind that checks written toward the end of the month may not be on the
statement).

Hope that helps,
Jewel