[nabs-l] Extracting ZIP Files

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue May 19 17:25:21 UTC 2015

Chris,

Most of the time you can treat a zipped file in Windows as if it was a folder.  Finding it in Windows Explorer and
pressing ENTER should open it up.  You can then deal with the files inside just as you would if they were unzipped
and you can copy them to another destination such as an SD card.   If the file is password protected, you will get
prompted for a password at some point.

Another common program for unzipping files is called 7-ZIP.  It is free and can be downloaded from

www.7-zip.org/

While it can use its own "7Z" compression method, it handles zipped files just fine as well as a few other
compression types.  It adds options to your file menu and the Applications menu that gives you more options.  If
you have that program and you select a zipped file but have not opened it, one 7Zip option is to extract all of the
files in a zipped file and place them in a folder which has the same name as the zipped file.  This is handy if you
have a zip file with multiple files or if it contains a DAISY file which has many files that need to be moved
together.  You have to be a little careful, though, as there is an option to extract all files into the current
folder, in which case they will all be mixed in with other files, or there is the option I mentioned above which
extracts them into a folder with the same name as the zipped archive.  That folder will be inside the current
folder as well, but you can copy the folder or open it and copy the individual files.  This is very nice for BARD
Audio downloads because you can copy the whole folder to the device being used for reading.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:28:49 -0400, Chris Nusbaum via nabs-l wrote:

>Hey Fellow NABSters,

>Here I am again with another question regarding my transition from a full-fledged notetaker to a stand-alone
Braille display. Since the display I chose (the Braille Edge from HIMS) has some basic notetaking capabilities, I
have opted to read BRF content such as Bookshare books using the Notepad application.

> When downloading a Bookshare book recently, I found that I could no longer extract content from a ZIP file as I
had done previously with my BrailleNote. The BrailleNote has a built-in ZIP file extractor, which the Edge does not
have. Barring this, how do those of you who don't use a BrailleNote unzip these files on a PC? I know there is a
built-in extractor in Windows, but from the best I can tell it is pretty complicated and I haven't been very
successful with it. Is there a more accessible way to do this? If not, how are you able to extract files in the
Windows Explorer extractor? I'm using JAWS on a PC running Windows 7. Thanks in advance for any tips.