[nabs-l] Here's an Awesome Opportunity: Learn to be a Legislative Guru

Sean Whalen nabs.president at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 20:23:03 UTC 2015

Good Friday afternoon NABS:

On November 7 in New London Connecticut, NABS and the NFB of Connecticut are
going to be teaming up to put on an interactive and empowering workshop to
arm legislative advocates with the practical knowledge and skills required
to influence lives by changing laws. I will be running this workshop, and am
writing to personally invite anybody interested to attend. NABS leaders will
be providing student to student training and information on how to get laws
from ideas and good intentions to the President's desk for a signature. The
skills and strategies we cover will be relevant for use when in Washington
DC, or back at home. Techniques will also be applicable to state level
legislative efforts, though this workshop will be focused on moving bills
through Congress.

I spent 5 years working on Capitol Hill as an intern and lobbyist. NABS
leaders will be on hand with more than 15 trips to Washington Seminar and
other legislative experience under our belts. This workshop will be of
substance, and it will also be fun.

My experiences with legislative advocacy through the NFB both built my
confidence and put me on a career path in law and policy. Even if you don't
make a career of it, the confidence of knowing that you can sit down with a
United States Senator and teach her something, and the satisfaction of
seeing legislative initiatives to which you have contributed become
meaningful laws that help real people make the investment well worth it. The
NFB of Connecticut has generously offered to cover the cost of registration,
and meals the day of the workshop (including the CT state convention
banquet), for the first 20 registrants. There are still slots available. You
can register here:

 <http://goo.gl/forms/HLd0DC6RWF> http://goo.gl/forms/HLd0DC6RWF

If you do not live in the New England area, I understand that travel can be
expensive. It may be possible that local NFB chapters or affiliates may
consider helping with travel. Other entities like Lions Clubs may also
consider supporting in some capacity. But if you are at all interested, I
urge people to attend this workshop. I am very excited to have the
opportunity to work with a great team to put together a legitimately
enjoyable and effective program. I think that is what we have on our hands
here! So, please come check it out.

I have attached the flyer for the event, and also pasted it below.

Thanks,

Sean

Sean Whalen

President, National Association of Blind Students

2015 Legislative Leadership Workshop

Changing Lives through Laws

Are you passionate about shaping the future for blind students through
legislative initiatives? Are you interested in advocacy, but don't know how
to get started?

If so, join the National Association of Blind Students and the National
Federation of the Blind of Connecticut for an empowering and interactive
legislative workshop!

WHO: Any students who have an interest in legislative action.  Both experts
and novices are welcome and will benefit from this exciting workshop.

WHAT: An afternoon of interactive breakouts, moderated discussions and
informative presentations that will provide you with the skills and know-how
that will prepare you to improve accessibility of technology and educational
opportunities for the blind by passing laws in Congress.

WHEN: Saturday, November 7, 2015 from 1:00-5:00 p.m.

WHERE: The Holiday Inn,

35 Governor Winthrop Blvd.

New London, CT 06320

Interested? Act now!

Space is limited, and the NFB of CT has graciously volunteered to cover the
cost of registration, lunch and banquet dinner on the day of the event for
the first 20 registrants.

Hurry up and

 <http://goo.gl/forms/HLd0DC6RWF> http://goo.gl/forms/HLd0DC6RWF

register today

Don't miss out!!

Have questions? Get answers!

Email Sean Whalen at  <mailto:nabs.president at gmail.com>
nabs.president at gmail.com or call 262 309-1034.

We hope to see you in Connecticut in November. Let's build up legislative
leaders and build a brighter future for blind students across America!