[nabs-l] disclosing blindness

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 03:46:25 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I think Arielle's example is a good one.  I'm sure most of us have
some part of their family culture or heritage that we can relate it
to; for my family it is Lebonese (even though I'm biologically not
included in this).  Any other factor could also apply.

I think there are other factors to consider when deciding whether or
not to disclose blindness.  First you want to consider your field you
are going into.  In mine I hope to use my blindness as an advantage,
and sell it as a plus in my interviews.  I think that because I know
what it is like to have a disability I have a different kind of
empathy and relatability for clients than a non-disabled colleague in
my field would, especially so if the client is blind in some form or
fashion.  I had a music therapist who was blind when I was young and
aside from being an MT she was a role model I wouldn't have had if she
were sighted.  I think that in capacities like this that no matter how
hard they try to understand or how caring they might be, non-disabled
professionals just cannot fully get it or serve in that capacity for
clients who might really benefit from seeing a person with a
disability in that role.  I would never dream of disclosing it for the
reasons that Aleeha and others described if I were going into a highly
visual field, or one that did not place such a high emphasis on
working with people with disabilities and forming strong and
empathetic therapeutic relationships.  The other thing to consider as
others have said is whether or not the disclosure will have a purpose.
I am going to start working on some research specifically related to
the lack of support for blind students and their educators in my
field, and as my professors are the principle researchers and I'm
their student I'm probably going to disclose information about my
visual accuity and the specific challenges we have faced in my
education thus far so it can benefit other music therapy students in
the future who are blind.  I also hope it will benefit the field in
general, as there is a strange divide between the work music
therapists do with people who have disabilities and the belief that
individuals who have disabilities and want to be music therapists
might not meet all the professional competencies required for the job.
I would really like more understanding to be shed on this topic and am
passionate about it, so I have no problem with including my
experiences in qualitative data or discussing my challenges as a
student researcher.  It will show employers that I am concerned for
the profession and advancing the work we do, that I engaged in
research with two well-known professors and professionals in the field
while still an undergraduate student, and that I have problem-solving
skills that I can apply to work with my clients.  If an employer in my
field wants to refuse me a job because they find the research and see
that I'm blind I wouldn't want to work for them anyway because who
knows then what they feel about clients.

On the other hand, I also have an opportunity to contribute a chant to
a project my professor is working on for publication.  The chant was
crafted for a class assignment and addressed the goal of expressing
and releasing stress.  As this has nothing to do with my blindness, I
will make no mention of it and don't expect that my professor would
have a reason to either.  She would have no reason to disclose
anything as significant about the other students she has asked to
contribute, and I am thankful that she'd probably also see it as
something that is not pertinent to the project.