[nabs-l] Fair payment for readers

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 13 03:30:00 UTC 2015

Hi Kaiti,

I've heard of recognition software for android too, but IMO you are better
off with a reader.
Readers can intrerpet things more accurately  anyway.

In terms of cost, this is a short thing not an ongoing thing.
About 30 minutes is not much time. I'd suggest either paying the reader 5
dollars in cash or something equivalent. Some ideas that I think are fair
compensation for that are a small meal, snack on campus, a starbucks coffee
or a small gift card.
Personally, I've paid readers out of pocket as my folks can support that.
The va rehab services can do it, but I hate the fact they only pay minimum
wage, and I have a hard enough time getting reliable readers paying a higher
rate. I pay readers, usually for library research, at rate of 10 dollars an
hour.

Good luck and   I hope they rread well.
The reader should read slowly and will probably need to tell you about
punctuation and paragraph changes which are important in song lyrics.
Its not the easiest thing to read another's handwriting, so I hope it works
out alright.

HTH,
ashley