[nabs-l] disclosing blindness

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 17:16:20 UTC 2015

I aggree with Robin on this. I disclose my blindness in relation to
everything I get involved in and sometimes, I let people know I'm
registered blind before I apply for whatever the job/event is. It's
not what you say, it's how you say it. It's a matter of how you
present your disability. Portray it like a shadow and that's all it
will be. Weave it into how you have acquired particular skills and it
will be perfectly relevant. As for me, it's a key part of who I am as
a person and hiding it until an in person interview would be extremely
discourtius! If someone did that to me; said nothing until the 11th
hour, I would think, "Hmm. If she kept that rather important thing to
herself until now, what else is she hiding?"

Everyone has their opinion and everyone is different.
Very best wishes,
Sandra.