[nabs-l] Accessibility of Coursera

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:36:46 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I hope this message finds you well. I have been using Coursera for a
while now and generally love their courses, but there are a couple of
challenges that I have been facing, so I would love to know what
strategies others have employed to confront them.
1. While courses based on theory -- those relating to law, languages
and social sciences are very accessible, it is slightly more
challenging to follow courses that are more visually oriented -- those
relating to subjects like physics, mathematics and programming. This
is principally because most instructors use PPT slides or draw
diagrams on the board to illustrate what they're saying or to explain
complex concepts. While there is a lot that you can learn simply by
listening, there comes a point in these courses when I tend to give up
because I find it hard to keep up solely on the basis of verbal
lectures. So I am wondering if there are any strategies that others
have been able to devise to confront these challenges in a meaningful
way.
2. Since the time I installed the latest version of Coursera on my
iPhone, I have been unable to access video lectures of most courses
for reasons that I cannot fathom. More specifically, when I open the
video, it either doesn't play at all or plays for barely thirty
seconds before pausing completely. However, there are other courses
whose videos I can access seamlessly. Is this an accessibility issue
or something that all iPhone Coursera users have been grappling with?
Any help would be welcome.

Best,
Rahul