[nabs-l] UEB certification

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 12:27:05 UTC 2015

Just to add some clarity to what has been shared already, there are two certifications being discussed. There is the NCUEB, which allows you to demonstrate your braille knowledge. This is great for braille teachers and other professionals who need to demonstrate competence in braille but don’t need to be braille transcribers. The other certification is the braille transcribers course, which is administered by the NFB. This course is for people who want to become certified braille transcribers.

If you do not need or want to transcribe braille materials, I would recommend the NCUEB instead. There is no course associated with it.

If all you need is to learn more about UEB and don’t necessarily want a certification, the Transition to UEB course through Hadley is quite good and free. The turn around time is quick if you submit your work electronically. I completed this course in May and it served my current needs, although I would like to look into the NCUEB exam in the future.

Hope this helps.

-Greg