[nabs-l] my blog about my experiences at LCB

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Fri Sep 11 16:38:26 UTC 2015

I was thinking about Kathryn's response because it really bothered me.
Mostly because I feel like she brought a personal issue into an
administrative decision, but because this seems to be the path that
most people take. When someone says they've had a negative experience,
they quickly get silenced so that the discussion of positive centers
can continue. I really dislike this idea where people do not have a
voice. Rather than quieting people, why not use that to create a
better situation? This is something I would expect from someone, most
especially who has a leadership role.
On 9/11/2015 11:58 AM, Suzanne Germano via nabs-l wrote:
> Email lists and FaceBook groups are only valuable if people can be
> free to give positive and negative opinions and comments. How can
> people make informed decisions if they only get one sided
> information? I personally value all opinions even if they differ
> from my own.
>
> Suzanne
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Elizabeth Mohnke via nabs-l <
> nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello Kathryn,
>>
>> I find it interesting that you are only responding to Tyler's
>> message and not Hope's message when they both appear to contain
>> information about something they do not like about the NFB
>> training centers. Even though the email could have been worded
>> differently to convey a different attitude, I found Tyler's email
>> to be rather meaningful to the discussion of using guide dogs at
>> NFB training centers. I do not believe a person's experience
>> should be any less significant simply because it happens to be
>> negative rather than positive. If anything, I think people should
>> be willing to hear both negative and positive experiences
>> regarding NFB training centers before making the decision to
>> attend an NFB training center. Therefore, I do not believe you
>> have the right to ban someone from expressing their opinions
>> regarding their own personal experience simply because you do
>> not happen to agree with it.
>>
>> Warm regards, Elizabeth
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: nabs-l
>> [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Kathryn Webster
>> via nabs-l Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 9:00 AM To:
>> tyler at tysdomain.com; National Association of Blind Students
>> <kathrynwebster.nfb at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [nabs-l] my blog
>> about my experiences at LCB
>>
>> Tyler, Please refrain from posting negative, unnecessary, and
>> insignificant comments to the list. We request that all posts
>> contribute to given discussions in a meaningful way. Thank you in
>> advance for understanding.
>>
>> Best, Kathryn Webster NABS Treasurer/Secretary
>>

>> Kathryn C. Webster (203) 273-8463 Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Sep 11, 2015, at 8:29 AM, Littlefield, Tyler via nabs-l <
>> nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
> I was going to ask about your experience with a dog, given the name
> of your blog. I find it rather amusing that NFB-associated centers
> discrimenate so hard against dogs, yet they're the first to scream
> discrimenation. I was not hired to a program last summer and it
> was mostly because I didn't answer the rather pointed questions
> about what I would do with my dog (like if he could stay in a room)
> for classes, quite the way they wanted. There I think my hope in
> the NFB, at least what remained of it shattered to pieces. We're
> the first to ask for equal access, yet equal access is not provided
> unless you have a straight white cane and drink the Cool-Aid.

.com

>>> for
>> nabs-l:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/kathrynwebster.nfb