[nabs-l] my blog about my experiences at LCB

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Fri Sep 11 17:50:17 UTC 2015

Hello Derik,
Thanks for your response. First, I want to note that I'm not
disagreeable. I'm posting about my views. I am not working to shut
down any legislation or lawsuits the NFB is involved in and I believe
that my work with ACB should not have any impact on the fact that I
was denied by a NFB backed organization because I was unwilling to
lock my dog in a room for hours at a time as an employee. While I
really didn't expect anything different from you, I'm amazed at how
you've shifted all of this on to another organizational spat, which
has nothing to do with my comments.

As to your note about me disagreeing with Kathryn's campaign, I noted
that she did grace us with her attention over at ACBS and had not
upheld her duties. I noted that not to be disagreeable as you
mentioned, but to make the note that I didn't know how she would
handle responsibilities as a NABS board member. Unlike some, I really
don't care which organization does work as long as it is work that can
further equal access and better opportunities for blind and disabled
people. While I might disagree with philosophies, I'm not going to
attempt to derail someone's campaign in an attempt to be disagreeable,
as you put it.

Regardless of my views and my associations with ACB, No organization
and most especially an organization who claims to speak for blind
people and promote equal access should refuse someone work because
they are unwilling to give up use of their guide dog for large periods
of time. As I said, I promote equality whenever and where I can. I
personally don't think I, or anyone else has a judgement call to make
when saying whether or not someone should use a tool that will help
them be more independant. If you want to use a cane and you can live
the life you want and are independant with that cane, awesome! If you
want to use a guide dog and can also live the life you want and be
independant, again I say that's pretty awesome and we should not be
discouraging either.

Thanks,