[nabs-l] Guide Dogs, Training Centers, and NFB

Caitlin Best bestca21 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 03:55:07 UTC 2015

During my training at LCB from May 2014 to May 2015... At the beginning of my training, I brought my guide dog with me, but soon found out that it was very difficult to maintain a healthy working relationship with the dog while also learning proper travel skills with my cane. I was not able to use her during class times, which was 8 to 5, but was able to take her out during breaks and lunch.

Overall, I found the whole thing a little overwhelming and ended up leaving my guide at home after convention.. This was after and extensive talk with my dog's school.

As for training itself, I learned a lot. Technology was not the easiest and like others have said you need to prove your competence. I put in a lot of after hours work into my assignments, since the technology instructors usually had computer lab tuesday and Thursday. My last project was a little rushed when it came to using Excel,, but I did get what I needed out of it. To me, it's really what you put into it. Not every program is going to be the most awesome over one another, but you make what you make of it. I think no matter which center is considered, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

As for the NFB, I agree with the philosophy and the civil rights aspect, but like Trevor said I also don't agree with some of the resolutions passed. That will happen anywhere you go, though.. There are always wonderful mentors, and those who are lacking as well. I think the main thing to remember is everyone is looking for a common goal.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Caitlin

Sent from my iPhone