[nabs-l] First Class Citizenship

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 22:59:30 UTC 2016

I would suggest that first class citizenship is more elusive   than we give it credit. if one might define first class citizenship as being treated like everyone else all of the time in all situations than I think we might all agree that hardly anyone is treated as such.
 If someone was to treat me not as a blind person but as a African American male, then maybe I might not face discrimination and prejudice based upon blindness but I might  face it based upon my  ethnicity.
 I may never be treated as a person who’s blindness nor heritage are truly considered as pieces of the entirety of me, but what then? I wonder if then there is truly such a thing as first class  citizenship?

 Then again, is it a matter of carving out our  own place in society by simply  living our lives  and  doing what we can do to succeed?  Even then will we be recognized as  beautifully complicated and fallible people? Or will we    always be considered the  “blind” person?  , the people who’s humanity is far too often obscured by the odd technology we use, and the  cane or dog we travel with??
 how many of our friends or family would  introduce or describe us  and without thinking elect  to use the word”blind as  a part of that sentence?  "      ?

 Julie  brought an element of philosophy into  this discussion, and I think it important to bring a little  more in.
 I think that it is clear we all face the limiting attitudes and low expectations that are a part of being blind and working/living with people who aren’t blind.

  If there is a such  thing as first class citizenship and we as blind people are going to realize it, I think that it’s on all of us to take an active role in some form or fashion in  moving us collectively  towards this place which we feel we have the right to occupy.  For me,  I believe that the National fEderation of the Blind is  that  vehicle that gets us there and we as the blind people who everyday see what  we see and know what we know have the power  to fuel that     vehicle.

 Many people might find reason to stop us from  achieving the goals we have for ourselves, both individually and collectively., These same people will ultimately  in some way, shape or form try to  place their fears and ignorance on us.
 The fact is that their success in doing so depends on how much we will allow their beliefs to get in the way of the bright future we say we want. If we are willing to turn  barriers that keep us out into door that we confidently walk through, then we will see more and more of  those who doubted us come to understand what we have known all along of the truth about blindness.

 If we take the time out of our busy schedules to educate, encourage and care for each other as we  explore what blindness and living the life we want means to each of us individually, then we help the whole of our blind population move forward.  After all, it is not enough that just some of us or even a great many of us  gain a truly positive philosophy of blindness and foundation  of blindness skills.  We all need to have an access to a knowledge  and understanding of these things.  Then maybe we then can possess  the   full rights and full responsibilities that come with the   first class    citizenship status we want.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/christina.moo