[nabs-l] Disability office policies

Laurel laurel.stockard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:23:57 UTC 2016

Anna,
To echo what everyone has already said, the prof was wrong. The
disability office should have very nicely told your professor that she
needs to ask you that question and not them. If your disability office
answered for you, then I also agree, they were in the wrong to discuss
something about you that is not disability related with your prof.
You also mentioned something about faculty in general not being aware
of how to interact with students with disabilities, and you were
wondering if someone had ever put together any training for
faculty/staff at a university on general disability etiquette. We here
at the university of Oklahoma have thought of the same thing, and I
can tell you that the disability advocacy student group is working
with the disability office at OU to put together such training. I work
in the disability office here, and I am helping to build a mandatory
faculty training so that professors and others will learn general
disability etiquette. We are hoping that other universities can use
what we put together to create their own faculty/staff training.
Laurel

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/lizmohnke%40hotma

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/valandkayla%40gma