[nabs-l] Braillenote Touch

Jameyanne Fuller jameyanne at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:55:13 UTC 2016

I really thought I would be using the keyboard all the time and not the
touch screen, but once I figured out TouchBraille, I've found I'm actually
more accurate on the touch screen than I am using the tactile keyboard. I'm
not sure why, but the when I've been using the keyboard, I keep missing dots
somehow. As long as I remember ot keep my wrists resting just behind the
Braille display, I can type fairly accurately and quickly right on the touch
screen.
In that respect, it's not really a touch screen like you'd think of a touch
screen on a smart phone or iPad or android tablet. You can turn off
TouchBraille and navigate using gestures, but you can also just use first
letter navigation and the thumb keys and cursor routing keys. Honestly, I
figured out how to turn the visual display off to help conserve battery, so
now it's just like a flat surface to type on.
I agree with the comment that there are some aspects of the Touch that seem
less efficient than the Apex, especially that when you use first letter
navigation, you have to hit the letter and then hit enter on what's
selected. Also the battery life is not very good at all, even if it's just
locked, and I miss my dictionary and easy word lookup (haven't found a good
app for that yet and even if I do I'm not sure there's an option to just
look up a word I have the cursor on). But all that being said, there's a lot
of great features that didn't exist on the Apex, like actual internet, the
ability to download third party apps, that sort of thing. I'm really
enjoying access to Dropbox, for example, and I can't wait for the KNFB
Reader to become available.
Jameyanne