[nabs-l] college parties

Joe Orozco jsoro620 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:32:14 UTC 2016

What happens at these parties? I think that's the question Zachary's
honing in on, and the answer is that, well, it depends. A college
party may sound wild by virtue of it being a college party, but are we
talking about a fraternity party? Just a group of friends getting
together? A young professional networking party?

Like anything else, there are extremes. At one end of the spectrum you
could enjoy a casual conversation with a small group of people at
someone's apartment. At the other end of the extreme you could find
yourself in the middle of the woods enjoying loud music, drinks,
drugs, and sex. What you experience I think ultimately depends on the
context of the party. I was a part of my university's debate squad. We
were never crazy, but when we played, we played hard and drank heavy
because we all trusted each other not to do anything we would regret.

The best way to prepare is to figure out in advance what your limits
are. Don't wait until you're in the situation to figure out what you
should or should not do. If you don't want to drink, don't drink. The
same is true of drugs. I assure you chances are very good you'll find
someone else at the party who is probably feeling the same way you are
and would love to team up with you to feel stronger about their
convictions.

And, who knows? Maybe this young lady wants you to go to one of these
parties because she just wants to hang out with you? Sometimes it's
good to analyze the situation, think about the pros and cons and
assess the consequences. At other times a party is just a party and
you are at no more risk of being hurt than you would be walking down
the street.

Good luck to you!

Joe