[nabs-l] struggling with Math

annajee82 at gmail.com annajee82 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 19:36:21 UTC 2016

Kayla,
If you are having trouble doing the math on your braille note, perhaps using a Perkins brailler would work better?
I'm not sure exactly what specific difficulty you are having, but it would certainly be easier for me to use the Perkins over a one line display.
As far as a scanner for your book. Well the scanner shouldn't matter.  But the OCR may or may not pick up symbols.  With basic algebra it might do fine.  You could try it and see how it goes.  And if there are problems someone in your school's disability office should be able to edit it using the print copy of the book.
My suggestion for now would be to use a tutor and a reader.  These are excellent options, especially while you are trying to figure out how you want to access your textbook.
How have you accessed your math books in the past?
Please let me know if you have more questions.

Anna E Givens

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Kayla James via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> I know how to write in Nemeth. It's just trying to do it on my Apex is
> a bit difficult. It's an Elementary/Intermediate Algebra class.
>
> On 8/28/16, KENNEDY STOMBERG via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> Actually, it is perfect that Steve responded! Because he was the resource I
>> was going to Point you too. He mentioned the NFB math list on NFB.net. That
>> is definitely a good resource. And they might have more answers to the
>> questions you're looking for. If you were trying to learn the basics of
>> Nemith,I believe there are some cheat sheets out there that you can use this
>> for specific math symbols. Can you tell me what type of math class you're
>> taking? Is it algebra? Geometry? If you let me know, I might be able to find
>> something for you for learning Nemith.
>>
>> Kennedy Stomberg
>> (218)295-2391
>>
>>> On Aug 28, 2016, at 10:59 AM, Kayla James via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am already in the Math class. It's my first college Math class and
>>> my first one without Braille books and tactile aids. I only intend to
>>> take any minimum required Math. Disability services said I'd get a
>>> note taker, but they don't do readers for textbooks. So far, I've used
>>> the scanner and WindowEyes at school to scan my work this week. School
>>> started last Monday.

>>> appreciated.
>>> Cheers,