[nabs-l] Help with Powerpoints and german Class

annajee82 at gmail.com annajee82 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:05:40 UTC 2016

I took a few semesters of Spanish.  I don't know if you are a braille reader, but if so, I would highly recommend using that since you are learning a ton of new words and will need to spell things out.
Using a tutor and or reader was a really good resource for me as well.  Powerpoints can be read with JAWS quite easily, and alt text can be put into any images so that a screen reader can read a description of the image.  In a language class they like to show pictures of things to learn vocabulary so that students can have different ways to associate words with objects or actions instead of just associating words with the comparative word in English.  It's just an additional way of learning. So on a powerpoint if there is a picture of a classroom with a desk, a chair, a pencil, and a notebook, and students are supposed to name the pictures using German vocabulary, the description could give clues to what objects are in the image without actually naming them.
Or it could just name them.  As long as you are learning the German words then you've met the objective.

For me, I find that I learn best on my own reading the book at home before class.  Then I can go to class and follow the powerpoints more easily because I am already familiar with the material.  Or If I don't have to follow the powerpoints in class, I don't.  I just listen and take notes to the best of my ability.
There are settings in JAWS and in MS word to use other languages.  You would have to look up how to set that but that is an option if it would make things easier.

Hope that helps.

Anna E Givens