[nabs-l] Help with Powerpoints and german Class

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:37:31 UTC 2016

Hi Tristin!

Yay German!  I was a German major in undergrad and would love to help.

First, a couple questions...  Do you read Braille?  If so, do you have
a refreshable Braille display or device?  In which format do you have
your German book?

I used Braille as much as possible in German classes.  It is difficult
to learn spelling and read out loud if you do not actually read in the
language.  Getting a tutor is only as good as the tutor you get.  I
never used a tutor and didn't like using readers in language classes
because I found I didn't learn as well with someone else reading to me
in a foreign language.

Are you having trouble following along with the professor in class?
Is there absolutely no English spoken?

Some professors will give you little hints via sound clues or help you
out with a word or two in English, and some will not.  That is why I
ask.  To be honest, throwing the blind kid a few English word bones
will not disrupt the learning of the rest of the class, since,
undoubtedly, everyone in an introductory class is already thinking in
English...  :)

I would recommend throwing the Powerpoints into word and then changing
the language of the word document to German.  That way, you will not
hear your screen reader speaking German as English.  If you use
Braille, I can give you the steps you will need to emboss in the
proper language if you want your tests or notes in hard copy Braille.
I can also try to help you get your documents on the note taker,
depending on the model you have.

I miss language classes so much!!!  Enjoy the learning!