[nabs-l] questions about balancing school and work and organization

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 02:25:59 UTC 2016

Hello Carlos,

I think creating a balanced schedule of school and other activities such as work and other social activities can sometimes be a challenging thing to do. One of the things that I find helps me from other distractions when working on school work is to work at the library or the computer lab instead of my apartment. I find there are a lot less distractions at the library or the computer lab on campus than in my apartment.

If you have a laptop or tablet computer, you could simply choose to do your school work any place other than your home or apartment that will not be too distracting for you. This could be anything from a local library, a coffee shop, or a quiet restaurant.

It can also be a good idea to schedule the time you wish to study or work on school work for a regular set time as if it were an important appointment. This way you will not schedule other things during your study time. I also find it helpful to mute my phone and close my email client so I am not distracted by incoming phone calls, text messages, and email messages. All of these things can wait until a later time, or can be used as an activity that can be done during a short study break.

Another thing you could try if you find it difficult to find large chunks of time is to break up your school work and study activities into smaller tasks. For Example, if you only have fifteen minutes, perhaps this is enough time to check a particular discussion thread, or simply use the heading function of your audio player to go through the headings or the summary of the chapter you need to read.

I know some people are able to multi-task and are able to read audio books while doing other things. However, I find that I am able to concentrate better when I focus on doing one task at a time. I have not found an effective way to take notes when reading through the textbook as I find I take better notes in class. So perhaps other people can provide suggestions on different methods for taking notes while reading through the textbook.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful and that you can find a good way to balance your school work with your job. I am sure with a bit of hard work and determination that you will be successful in finding what works best for you.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth