[nabs-l] The Next Few Years of My Life

Miso Kwak misokwak12 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 04:11:56 UTC 2016

Ahbee,
First I commend you for thinking ahead and trying to weigh your options.
A little bit about myself...
I am currently a senior at UCLA. I went to a academically competitive
high school where I took honors and AP courses and in the summer
between my senior year and college freshman year I went to a NFB
training center for 8 weeks.

I thought about attending training full time after undergrad or in the
middle of undergrad at one point but I decided not to do that at least
as of now.
I moved out to an off campus apartment in my junior year of college
where I was forced to do a lot of things on my own like cooking,
getting groceries, cleaning my kitchen, etc. I also had an internship
to fulfil my course requirement so I had to travel on my own in the
city. After that I feel pretty comfortable about my blindness skills
and don't feel the need to attend training.

This being said, you are the best person who know about yourself.
People on the NABS list can give you suggestions but in the end you
know what your aspirations are, how you feel about your blindness
skills are, etc.

I want to suggest that you take AP courses and/or do dual enrollment
with a local community college. Some people on this list may disagree
but I believe that you have one opportunity to attend high school,
take classes, enjoy social life etc. Once you are older than high
school age, you will never have the opportunity to take AP courses,
take advantage of extracurricular activities, etc.  However, you can
decide to attend training any time you want whether you are 18, 25, or
40 or older.

If training is one of your priorities, you can complete four years of
your high school, secure a spot in college, defer your enrollment for
a year, and during the year between your senior year of high school
and college freshman year you can attend a training center.

Best of luck!
--Miso