[nabs-l] World services for the blind employment programs

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 6 03:33:45 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I know this has come up before with negative comments. But they have changed some; a new director I assume.

World services for the blind used to be lions world services for the blind.
Their website looks much different now so I’m guessing someone redesigned it  within the past year. They offer both independent living training and employment training services. According to the online descriptions, they offer a few new programs: the credit counselor program and the administrative assistant certificate.

I’m finding entry level jobs hard to come by which don’t require a lot of vision to perform paperwork tasks such as filing and data entry.
So, I was wondering again about WSB.

Does anyone have rather recent experience there for any program or know someone who does? They did not even list the 3 IRS programs; I wonder if that is still offered.

A few things I’m wondering about are these: the living conditions, food and quality of classes.  Is the dorm building still old? Do they have a variety of healthy food. I know in the past fried food was a big thing. Also, how are classes taught?

I’m not serious about going there now as I’m volunteering around here trying to get more experience, but I’ve not ruled out any options.

Thanks for any ideas you all have.

Ashley