[nabs-l] how to prepare for college coursework

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:05:03 UTC 2016

Hi,
You will definitely want to learn how to take good notes. Studying is an important part of college coursework and note taking is the only way to get all the information from your classes. You will also need to learn how to hire good readers (the Braille Monitor has good resources for this), and how to work with rehabilitation services and disability services. Some of this you can learn as you go, but you will definitely want to work on note taking. Practice by taking notes on a podcast that has a lot of information in it. Go back after a while and read the notes and see if you can get all the information you need from them. The thing to remember is that you do not need to write every word the person says. Abbreviate things and use incomplete sentences so that you can go faster.
Regarding studying, set up a study schedule for yourself outside of class. Study times for people will vary based on the person, so be patient with yourself. You may find that you need more or less studying depending on the material and your ability to retain it.
I find that if I can teach the material to someone who doesn’t know it, I will do well on the test.
HTH,
Aleeha