[nabs-l] Schools For The Blind vs Public Schools

jessica hodges jlhodges4 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 00:49:18 UTC 2016

I believe schools for the blind can have some benefits. If you go there
as a residential student, depending on the school, and the quality of
education, you can get a lot of skills that can serve you very well in
life after graduation, if you keep practicing them. However, I believe
that a student should also have some public school exposure, to teach
self advicasy, as well as how to cope when things when all materials and
experiences are not accessible, and optimized for blindness. The issue
that I find with blind schools is that they basically hand the students
the world on a silver platter. They don't have to fight for anything,
make due with anything that isn't perfectly accessible, and so have no
exposure in how to deal with things in the "real world," outside the
sphere of the blind school. I went to a blind school from my third to
sixth grade year, and was home schooled through seventh grade, so I
struggled integrating back into the school system, particularly in math,
trying to adapt to a visually taught class and things. I also didn't
stay at the school, so I did not learn half of the skills that I could
have.
      In conclusion, I believe it is good to give students experience in
both public, and blind school settings.
Hope this helps.
Jessica