[nabs-l] Washington Seminar Question

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 00:59:23 UTC 2016

Mikayla:

I can completely relate to your frustration. Often legislators and their
staffs appear supportive of our cause when our issues are right under their
noses, such as during Washington Seminar. After those large-scale events,
however, our bills simply get buried under other legislation which appears
more pressing to Congressional staff. It is important, then, to remain
vigilant in our follow-up efforts, making sure we keep our issues at the
forefront of our legislators' minds. Here are some tricks I've learned and
used over the years, which may help you find greater success in following up
with Congressional staffers:

1. Call them. Electronic communication is great, and we students love to use
it. However, I've found that nothing gets the job done like a personal phone
call to legislative staff. Calling prevents your message from being deleted
or ignored by staff when sifting through the thousands of emails they get
from constituents every day. Also, calling allows you to begin a personal
dialogue with a staffer who may have further questions or who may request
further clarification. As you make these calls, remember that you need not
have all the answers. It's perfectly fine to direct questions to our
governmental affairs team at the national office or to your state affiliate
leadership. As rank-and-file members, however, our job is to be the first
point of contact with our legislators, educating them about the broader
issues, then pointing them to the pros who can help them work out the
details while still keeping the focus on our message.

2. Request a meeting. Many times we have heard veteran Washington Seminar
attendees extol the virtues of the in-person meeting. As you astutely
observed in your message, Congressional staff (and sometimes the Congressmen
themselves) appear very supportive of our cause during Washington Seminar
appointments, when they have a group of knowledgeable and articulate blind
people in front of them who are passionately expressing our positions.
Despite the proven effectiveness of these meetings, I think we often forget
to take advantage of this strategy when we're doing follow-up. All
Representatives have various offices across the state they serve, and I
would encourage you to call your local office and ask to schedule a meeting.
>From my experience, it seems as though Congressional staff in local offices
keep in close contact with their colleagues in Washington, so you may be
more likely to get a response from DC after you've met with a local staff
person. Also, many Federationists have found it useful to take advantage of
the Congressional recesses, when reps are back in their home districts and
are more open to personal meetings with constituents.

3. Use social media early and often. As NABS's resident social media guy,
you probably already guessed that this would be one of my suggestions. All
biases aside, social media has shown itself to be the most effective
electronic medium with which to promote a cause. Members of Congress have
often explained their action on a particular issue by citing the number of
tweets or Facebook posts they have received from constituents about it. So,
fill up those timelines with messages about our legislative priorities, and
encourage your friends (both inside and outside the Federation) to do the
same. Also, be sure to use relevant hashtags when posting about our issues.
If a staffer sees a series of tweets which contain #AIMHEA or #TIMEAct, for
example, he/she is likely to click on the hashtag and see that a lot of
other people are also tweeting about the same issue. In this age of social
media, the more prominent an issue is on a legislator's news feeds, the more
prominent it will be in his/her mind.

4. Make connections. Is their a state legislator who is particularly
supportive of our work? Have you met with a government official in the past
who has been supportive of the Federation? Do you know anyone personally who
may hold some influence with your member of Congress? If so, hold onto these
contacts and use them when you're trying to get a response out of a
Congressional office. For example, I personally know a state delegate who is
a friend of our local Congressman. This delegate has long been a supporter
of the NFB, so when I couldn't get a response from my Congressman, I asked
her if she could help. Within two days of my conversation with her, I got a
call from the very staffer I had been trying to reach for months with no
success. When I asked the staffer whether she had received any of my
previous emails or phone calls, she said she hadn't. She only contacted me
when she got a call from the state delegate. Connections are powerful
things, so use them to our advantage when you can.

5. Finally, keep track of your Congressman's event schedule. If he/she is
doing a radio interview in which listeners are invited to call in and ask
questions, call in and ask him/her about one of our bills. If he/she is
doing a town hall meeting, attend it and/or alert local Federationists so
they can join you. If your legislator is appearing at a public event, like a
fair or parade, talk with them about our bills and establish contact with
them. In short, get them whenever and wherever they avail themselves. A good
way to keep track of these schedules is to follow your reps on social media
or sign up for their email newsletters.

I hope these suggestions help you in your follow-up efforts. I know this
advocacy business can sometimes be discouraging, but I also know that the
Federation has been doing it effectively for the past 75 years, and that we
will keep doing it in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out to your
fellow Federationists if you need any advice or support. We're all here to
help each other work toward our common goal. Thanks for all you do--keep up
the great work!

Chris Nusbaum