[nabs-l] Interesting interaction with a professor

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 17:57:20 UTC 2016

You aren't looking at this the wrong way. You are in no way required to discuss your need for accommodations with your classmates, and you are still entitled to said accommodations if you choose not to discuss it with them. If your teacher feels the other students need an explanation of why some students might be allowed a computer when others aren't, she should explain it herself, and in a way that explicitly does not single you out. In your position, I would explain to her that your accommodations aren't a privilege or advantage. They merely allow you *equal access, and that you have a right to equal access without making a spectacle of yourself or having to offer anyone but the person providing the accommodation an explanation of why you need them. You don't owe your peers anything. She can just add a clause to her syllabus that explains exceptions to rules can be made in the event that a student has a documented need for accommodations and speaks to her directly first. She does not have to single you out. To require that you disclose your needs and reasons for them to your class regardless of your preferences is degrading and inappropriate on her part. Now making it an option for you to discuss it with the class and encouraging it would be different. It shouldn't be required.

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone