[nabs-l] Interesting interaction with a professor

annajee82 at gmail.com annajee82 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:45:55 UTC 2016

I am quite sure that the policies of your University state that you are in no way required to "educate the class" on your accommodations.  I can understand your professor's position, however, she is acting out of a lack of education or understanding.  All that is required is for her to say to the class something along the lines of "Nobody is allowed to use technology in the classroom unless they have a documented need for such an accommodation."

I think, if it were me, in this situation, I would politely inform her that I am in no way required to talk to the class about my accommodations unless I choose to do so, per the policies of the University.  And that I would be happy to get her in contact with the ADA coordinator if she needs further explanation.  And in the meantime I would be delighted to speak to the class briefly about accommodations, JAWS, notetaker, etc, for the sole purpose of educating more students.  But then I would take the tests in the disability office or in the professors office.  That way I would be educating my peers, and my professor, but it would be clear that I am not doing it in order to be able to use accommodations.  That is a compromise I would make.
But that is my personal choice.

You have the right to decide to discuss your accommodations or not.  If you have good disability resource office coordinators, you could discuss the matter with them as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Anna E Givens