[nabs-l] Question.

STOMBERG, KENNEDY kestomberg at coe.edu
Thu Jan 7 21:46:05 UTC 2016

I can see  both sides of the argument.

On one hand, you want to be as endependent as possible. On the other hand,
Science courses are visual, and it
can be difficult to understand material by just viualizing things.  Karl is
1000 percent correct!
Talk to your professor before the term starts! Figure out how they work!
Many professors have a natural tendincy to describe things well, especially
if it is a class that they have !aught before. I have also had professors
invite me to take time to meet with them outside of class to describe
things in a way that works for me. However, if it becomes clear that your
professor is unwilling to describe material, or isn't good at it, an
assistant in the class would be good.

Another option would be to go through the first week of classes without an
assistant, and see how you feel. If a professor is doing a good job of
talking about the material in a way that you understand, or they are okay
with meeting outside of class, don't use an assistant! If their
descriptions aren't helping, or worse, making things more comfusing, get an
assistant. This second method might be a bit difficult, because finding an
assistant after the term has started can be tough.

I hope this helps!
Kennedy Stomberg