[nabs-l] Using Rolling Bags and Navigating Open Spaces

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 13 16:05:54 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I survived my first day of classes after taking some time off to deal with
some health issues. I am really interested in this class even though I know
it may be a bit of a challenge for me. However, I have some questions about
using rolling bags and navigating through large open spaces.

In my hasty preparations for class, I simply through my essentials for class
in a tote bag rather than a small bag on wheels. The tote bag was empty
while the bag on wheels still has some things in it from when I used it over
the holidays. However, after seeing all the snow we got for the first day of
classes, I am wondering how easy it might be to use the bag on wheels in the
snow. Does anyone on the email list have any experience using a bag on
wheels?  How easy is it to maneuver the bag on wheels through the snow? I
also have some issues with balance, and I am wondering if using the bag on
wheels will make it more difficult for me to keep my balance. How will using
the bag on wheels effect my balance? Since I am using a cane in one hand
while pulling the bag on wheels with my other hand, this no longer leaves me
a free hand to grab a hold of something like when stepping on or off the bus
and opening a door. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for using a bag on
wheels on a regular basis? I would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

But I could also use some advice on navigating through large open spaces. My
college recently renovated one of its buildings, and they decided to use a
large open floor format that I am having trouble navigating. I had someone
show me the layout of the new building this past fall, but this was during a
time where there were not a lot of people in it. Now that there are lots of
people going in different directions as well as new obstacles like tables
and chairs that were not there before, I am having a difficult time
navigating through this large open space. If anyone has any tips or tricks
on how to navigate through this large open space, I would greatly appreciate
hearing from you. There are very few if any permeant landmarks in this open
space. I would avoid this building if I could, but it contains student
services and the only options for food on campus. I would also avoid the
large open space area, but you need to go through it in order to get to the
restrooms and elevator. Again, if you have any suggestions as to how I might
be able to navigate through this large open space building, I would greatly
appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Elizabeth