[nabs-l] Efficiency and Productivity

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jan 22 16:12:50 UTC 2016

I would like to urge some caution when considering the role of one's output
on the job.  While it is true that one's personal value consists of more
than one's efficiency and output, those are part of one's personal value.
An employer is not going to be happy with you if you consistently miss
deadlines.  Some employers might cut you some slack if they see improvement,
and certainly nobody is as efficient when they start a job than they will
become later, blind or sighted.  There is a balance between being so hard on
yourself for not being able to do things as efficiently as a sighted
co-worker and ignoring efficiency completely.  The phrase "Working at your
own pace" can mean different things to different people.  Believe me,
sighted people in today's jobs feel pressure to work faster than they are
comfortable working, too.  I see my sighted co-workers working evenings very
often.  If one sees an area in which one just can't gain the efficiency one
might like, one has to look for other areas where one can offset that lack
of efficiency, or sometimes being willing to work longer hours.

I don't claim there are magic answers, and I certainly do not claim that I
am as efficient in every area as my sighted co-workers because I know I am
not.  What I am trying to convey is that one also can't just work at one's
own pace thinking that the attitude is enough, either, one has to think
about one's efficiency and how it can be improved most effectively.  Also,
there are jobs where output is most of the measure of one's value,
particularly in call center jobs, whether we like it or not.  One has to be
aware of the importance of efficiency and output in their particular
situation.  We can't assume in the long run that the ADA will guarantee us
the same pay if we are actually doing less.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson