[nabs-l] College Math

Syed Rizvi syedrizvinfb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:08:04 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I am currently a student at LCB and am headed back to college in the
fall. I am pursuing a degree in information sciences. I have some
questions in regards
to math below and I was hoping to find some answers. Thank you all so
much for your input.

I am currently using a big nemeth text book, called “Learning the
Nemeth Braille code for teachers and students” by Ruth Creg,
transcribed in 1991, adopted
by Bana in 1987. Are there more condensed materials or better tools
for learning nemeth?

What strategies would you recommend to a new nemeth reader for reading math?

I used to look at math visually. I am here for training now at LCB. I
am learning nonvisual techniques and I am reading braille with an
electronic display.
Since I used to look at an entire problem all at once, now how can I
look at a problem in its entirety using nonvisual techniques?

In regards to math text books, I can read text better using audio but
then equations are thrown in with the text. What is the best way to
handle a math
text book? I have had a book with the theory all in one file and then
links to separate files with the equations. Is this the best way or
are there better
techniques?

how might latex and math ML be used in reading math?

what programs should I use and with which screen readers? I have JAWS,
NVDA, iOS, a focus forty braille display, are there better tools?

When math problems are read during lectures, what accommodations do I
need to request? How do I access handwritten notes from the TA or note
taker?

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Syed