[nabs-l] A Struggling Blind Student Looking for Some Advice

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 17:00:05 UTC 2016

Dear Elizabeth,

College is really not feasible without some method of writing.
You either have to learn braille well enough to be functional, or
find some kind of technology that you can write on.  It sounds
like your rehab agency is not doing their job in providing you
with at least minimal technology.  If it's not practically
possible to get them to do there job in time for exams, I would
suggest that the most cost effective thing to do is to get a
smart phone and use a word processing app.  Even a relatively
inexpensive smart phone with a bluetooth keyboard would let you
write out answers.  You could then either read what you'd written
to your scribe to put it on the test or show them your screen and
have them copy your answers out or just e-mail your answers to
your professors.  Most phone companies will allow you to buy a
smart phone on an installment plan at a reasonably affordable
price.

I hope this helps,
Karl