[nabs-l] A Struggling Blind Student Looking for Some Advice

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:36:09 UTC 2016

Dear Elizabeth,

You're right that many of the suggestions people have given you
won't help for your test in two weeks.  If you want to continue
college though, learning braille whether from a training center
or a Hadley course or whatever or learning how to use something
like NVDA will be something you have to do.  We can't do that for
you.  I wish we could, but you have to actually learn the skills
you need to do college assignments.  One thing you could do is
take an incomplete get the skills you need and finish the class
in the fall.  I'm assuming that's more drastic than you want to
do though.  You could work on trying to learn something like NVDA
for the next test, and maybe your professor would allow you to
take this one later if you explained it to them or maybe they
would let you take it orally.  I understand not wanting to learn
new technology, I really do.  I hate it, and I've never been able
to learn Windows and a screen reader well enough to function
effectively, which is why I use my Braillenote for everything.  I
think you might be surprised at how easy it is to learn how to
make a smartphone work though.  Androids are known for taking
some time to figure out, but Iphone's are fairly intuitive.  When
I got mine I hated it for a day or two because I couldn't make it
work, but then it clicked.  All you really need is to type your
answers into the body of an e-mail and either send it to your
professor or have your scribe write it out onto the test or
e-mail your answers to DSS and have them print them.  Learning
how to do that much really wouldn't be very difficult--even
someone who has as hard a time with technology as I do can manage
it.  I really hope you can find a way to do well on your exam!

Best,
Karl