[nabs-l] A Struggling Blind Student Looking for Some Advice

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 29 23:14:26 UTC 2016

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles in class. Like you, I took my exams with
a computer with jaws in the testing center.
In fact I do not think the testing center allowed
personal laptops. I also agree that having a laptop is a privelege not a
right.
You are right  that not all students including blind students can have
laptops.
Also, I know of blind students who were older and lost vision who could not
use braille effectively for notes or exams.
I love braille and use it along with large print, but I also realize that
not everyone can learn braille to use it efficiently for class or
employment.
You are not alone in such circumstances.
So, there are definitely students who went to college without portable
technology or many financial resources and without the skill of braille.
I know some of them, but they are not on this list.

Its rather appalling the school fails to provide you that accomodation.
I am just shocked to still find stories of this in the 21st century. As
Elif said, the school should not expect students to have laptops.
They do not in fact expect this. Schools have computer labs and computers at
their testing centers for students to use. As a student, it is your right to
be able to use a pc with accomodations. I'd definitely go up the chain of
command and fight this.

Do you want a laptop? I think I might have some resources for free or
reduced price ones for blind people.
My dss offices only provided readers and a computer with jaws for the exams,
so I know what you mean about inflexibility.

Meanwhile, I have some ideas.
You will need to work something out with the professor getting it approved
by dss or withdraw from the class.

So here are ideas.
If you can read large print, you can jot down notes for the exam. Then
once your thoughts are together, you can dictate it to  a reader.

Other options are to take the exam orally.
Arrange a time to take the exam with the professor or their TA. This may
feel intimidating to do it with the professor, so another idea is to have
another faculty member administer the exam to you.
I've done this on a few ocasions for short answer exams and it works okay.
The instructor just reads back what I wrote after each question.
Another idea for oral exams is that you have the professor record the
questions and you record your answers. Many colleges have old fashioned tape
recorders  around or digital recorders. Technology labs or even the library
may have equipment.
Have you asked different departments about the possibility of lending you
technology?
I would think they have something around.

Finally, an option is to take home the exam if the professor lets you do
that.
I've actually done this a few times. In fact my professor suggested it. She
said all the students would do in class was that essay, and she saw no
reason for me to have to come in and do it at the testing center.
So, she let me take it at home. There was no way to really cheat, but she
did say I was on my honor not to use outside resources or  other people.

If no accomodations are approved and you cannot take the exams, then taking
an incomplete
seems like the best option rather than having a failing grade.

I'm sorry to hear things look so hopeless. Definitely complain to the
school.

Ashley