[nabs-l] reintroducing myself to the list

Laurel laurel.stockard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 01:43:13 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,
My name is Laurel and I'm a student at the University of Oklahoma. I
have been on this list for several years, but it has been an extremely
long time since I have posted anything, so there are a few of you who
might remember me, but most of you probably don't. I moved to Oklahoma
from Texas, where I attended a university that refused to accommodate
me and essentially denied me an education. I won't write too much
about that publicly, it's a long story, but basically I transferred to
the University of Oklahoma and have so far had a wonderful experience
here. Norman, Oklahoma is a very good place to live for a blind
student. There is public transit, para-transit and it's also very
walkable.
Here at OU I study Russian, it's my major. I love it and I want to
become an instructor of Russian language someday. I am learning
something like 6 or 7 other languages on my own, so if you know other
languages besides English, I would love to meet you. /smile/ I have a
guide dog from Guide Dogs for the Blind and we have been a team for 6
years. I am a member of the NFB, but am not currently involved in a
particular chapter.
I have a work-study job at my university where I help test for
accessibility, like in websites, software and I help to test different
materials for different courses the university offers. When I find
accessibility issues, I get to be part of the solution and help fix
them.
I enjoy reading you all's posts and look forward to knowing many of
you. Please feel free to write me off list at
laurel.Stockard at gmail.com if you want and we can chat.
Have a great evening,
Laurel