[nabs-l] NVDA Voices

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:55:17 UTC 2016

I could be wrong, but from my reading, it sounded like the Eloquence
voice does cost money, but that a couple of list members who have
already bought the Eloquence add-on are willing to share it with you
for free. Ben Bloomgren was one such person, at
ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com
It was also stated that there are free voices other than the standard
NVDA voice that might be easier to understand, but those wouldn't be
Eloquence.
I have definitely had experiences where a piece of software, or a
speech synthesizer, made no sense to me when I first heard it, but
that I did start to understand it after days of practice and often
slowing the voice rate down a bit. I use JAWS and VoiceOver at a
slower speed than most blind people do because I want to understand
everything. I can understand why you might not have the time to
practice NVDA, but if you do have time, I think it's worthwhile to at
least try and see if your comprehension improves at all.

Best, Arielle