[nabs-l] College research in seeking input

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 17:54:53 UTC 2016

For what it's worth, Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona never get snow and
rarely get temps below freezing. The first part of the fall semester
can be quite hot, although all major buildings are air-conditioned.
Arizona may be another place to consider. Arizona State University has
a large disabilities office. In my experience this can be a
double-edged sword. They have a lot of resources, but also a lot of
students demanding their resources. It is absolutely essential to have
a backup plan in place in case the DSO is late getting you materials,
whether that be a human reader, a scanner, or one of the libraries at
Learning Ally or BookShare. I agree generally with Joe and Kennedy. I
also think the most important factor, in addition to quality of degree
programs, are the attitudes of the faculty who head up the department
where you are likely to be majoring. If they believe in you as a blind
student, they will help make the rest of the details fall into place.
If you are doing visits, try to schedule time with a faculty member in
the department where you are hoping to major. In my opinion this is
more important than meeting with the DSO.

Best, Arielle