[nabs-l] blindsquare vs seeing eye gps

Brice brice.smith319 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 04:05:25 UTC 2016

IMO, The Seeing Eye GPS has two advantages: intersection analysis and
Google Places integration. BlindSquare only pulls data from
Foursquare, and BlindSquare does not give detailed information about
intersections.

But BlindSquare offers plenty of advantages, too. You can create and
manage favorites. You can simulate locations and virtually explore an
area anywhere in the world that Foursquare and Open Street Maps has
data. There’s a handy “sleep” button in the lower right corner. You
can set an Uber directly from the app. These are just a few of many
features that make BlindSquare a joy to use, and demonstrate how
committed the developer is to user requests and feedback.

I didn’t include turn-by-turn directions as an advantage for The
Seeing Eye. Why? I find that the directions are often unreliable, and
the app has no traffic information or rerouting whatsoever.

 I like that BlindSquare integrates with Google and Apple Maps because
Google and Apple maps are quickly becoming the gold standard in GPS
for everyone, everywhere. Google Maps is spot on with ETAs and traffic
data, and Apple Maps has several built-in accessibility features. You
can explore the layout of streets with your finger, turn tracking on
and hear upcoming intersections and points of interest, and swipe and
hear your current location which continuously updates. Google and
especially Apple maps will do in a pinch if someone can't pay for
BlindSquare or The Seeing Eye.

So, you decide: do the advantages of The Seeing Eye app justify purchase?