[nabs-l] Nfb training centres

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:15:19 UTC 2016

Hi Amanda,
I just graduated from the Louisiana Center for the Blind, a 6 to
9-month program.  I went for the full 9 months.
There are lots of training centers all over the US, but the top
ones, Blind Inc., and the Colorado and Louisiana Centers for the
Blind, are NFB sponsored.
There are probably some that do go for shorter.  You need to look
at which center best fits you.
You should also consider where you live.  I live in California,
so to get to Louisiana I had to tour the three California centers
to prove that these were not the ones I wanted to go to.  I also
had to write a justification letter.
At LCB, a typical day is from 8 to 5.  I would leave the
apartments anywhere between 7 and 7 30.  We go all day except for
our hour lunch break and two ten-minute breaks.
After 5 you can do what you want, but there are certain
activities you can do afterwards, like computer lab, excersize
class and sometimes chapter meetings.
Hope this helps.  Everyone's experience is different, so
hopefully you will be hearing a lot more of them.
Vejas