[nabs-l] {Spam?} Re: Transition to college

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:22:11 UTC 2016

Hi Anna and all,

I'll take a stab at this one.

1.  How smooth was your transition from high school to college? (Please explain)
Smooth for the most part.  I found a group of wonderful friends almost
right off the bat, and my classes did not challenge me as much as my
high school courses did.  (Most college students will tell you the
exact opposite, but this was my experience.)  My college did not want
me to use Braille in my classes.  They thought that I could learn
music only by ear, and I went along with them until I suffered in my
musicianship classes.  Funny thing about sight reading: it isn't sight
reading (or touch reading if you will) if you hear it ahead of time.
Eventually, I added a major, made even more friends, and although I
never quite got used to living in a dorm, I was able to find direction
and normalcy as a freshman.

 2. What did/do you struggle with in college? (This could be academic
or social or anything else college related)
I struggle with procrastination, the need to be challenged,
perfectionism, and confidence.  I love school, and I've always been
enthusiastic about learning.  Yes, I am a nerd.  I would get myself
into stressful situations because I procrastinate and then cram or
write at the last minute.  I don't need to study as much as some
might, so I have not developed good study habits.

I learned Braille music behind my classmates.  Whereas my colleagues
began learning to sight read the fall of our freshman year, I had to
pick it up a semester behind them while remaining in the same
rotation.  Eventually, I was able to take a semester off from that one
class and work with a professor individually.  I also spent a lot of
time managing my accommodations.  Music and language majors can be
some of the most difficult to manage as a blind student.  I faught for
Braille music, advocated so that I could have technology that would
allow me to compose music for my classes, managed readers for music
theory, and always struggled to find German books in Braille.  And
then we had conducting, German culture classes involving films, and my
performance classes.  I know the disability services office didn't
treat me this way and didn't consider me to be particularly difficult,
but I did feel like a burden on my undergrad university.

 3. What do you wish you had been told or taught before starting college?

Do your best to know the accommodations you will need, why you need
them, and how you will get them.  You cannot rely on others to do this
for you because they do not know you and they will be wrong.

Learn and use Braille!  Yeah, copy cat here.  And I don't have a
problem falling in line with the NFB's adoration of Braille.  I would
have failed as a music major without Braille.  Reading aloud, giving
confident presentations, and observing spelling and sentence structure
are invaluable skills.  Also, I have always found that taking notes
with a head phone in one ear distracted me completely.  If I really
wanted to take notes and listen to the presentations, then I use my
note taker.  And now you all know my secret...

Do not allow professors to make you feel less because you are blind.
We have a right to be in their classes, and we want to work with them
to create a positive situation for everyone.  I say this because I was
told over and over again that I should seek out acting lessons, should
find someone to work with me on performing techniques, and that my
opera professors didn't have the resources to work with me.  I was
also told that I would always count rhythms badly because of my
blindness.  To this day I still have a counting complex, though now I
truly believe that I am that soprano who makes up her own rhythms.  :)
 The moral of that story?  Believe in your own worth.  Listen to
criticism, but do not believe that your blindness lessens what you can
do.  It's just one characteristic of who we are.

I hope that helps!  Can I just be a college student again?  :)