[nabs-l] German Teen Losing Vision

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 17:34:22 UTC 2016

Hi Ellana,

I can see if I can help.  I do not know where this person is in
Germany or what their circumstances may be, but I did visit a school
for the blind while I was there that works with people on Braille and
technology skills.  I even went to a store where they sold canes and
talking devices.

I don't know how much I can help now...  But I do speak German and
have some connections with whom I may be able to connect this person.
It would also be a good idea to see how we can get them to a center if
that is what they want.  Students can certainly come here to study if
they have the right resources.

When I visited Germany, I was quite the novelty.  Blind German teens
do not usually go to Gymnasiums (pronounced with a hard G).  The
gymnasiums are the most academically advanced high schools in the
country, and they do not generally take blind students.  Things could
be different by now though...  I went to Germany in 2008.  I'm getting
old!  :)

Let me know if I can do anything to help!