[nabs-l] Awareness and advocacy in our professions

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 17 23:24:53 UTC 2016

Hello Kaiti,

I am sorry to hear you do not feel as though you are necessarily being
treated as an equal within your chosen profession. I imagine the reason why
people in your profession may not necessarily see people with disabilities
as an equal who can work in the profession has a lot to do with the fact
that the people who receive music therapy are generally people with
disabilities. The role of someone with a disability working in the
profession is a lot different than the role of someone with a disability
receiving music therapy. Changing the way a group of people see others when
they have been defined by a set role can be a difficult thing to do.

I think constantly demonstrating your abilities as a music therapist is a
first good step in changing these defined roles within your profession.
However, another thing you could do is look into presenting some sort of
presentation at some of the professional conferences that you attend.
Perhaps you could give a presentation on the techniques you use as a blind
student preparing to become a music therapist. This would help provide
others with different techniques that may be helpful to other students
preparing to become music therapist. Alternatively, you could put together a
panel of disabled music therapists, and lead a discussion on the techniques
they use as music therapists, or how they would like to see the profession
grow in terms of accepting people with disabilities into the profession.

As far as receiving accommodations for when you attend professional
conferences, here are a few ideas you may want to try the next time you
attend a professional conference.

In terms of being able to receive a Braille agenda of the conference, it is
possible the organization putting on the conference may not necessarily know
how to produce an agenda in Braille, or simply do not have the means to
produce an agenda in Braille. Although I have looked into attending
professional conferences in my chosen field of study, I have yet to actually
attend any professional conferences. However, when looking at the
information for various professional conferences, I have noticed that there
is generally a lot of information about the conference posted online. In
most cases, there is an agenda or schedule of events included as part of
this information. It seems to me if you would like this information in
Braille that you could either Braille it yourself or use an electronic
Braille display to read this information. If an agenda or schedule of events
is not listed anywhere online, it seems to me you could simply have someone
from the organization email you a copy of this information. It has been my
experience that most organizations outside the realm of blindness generally
do not provide Braille documents.

As far as navigating large hotels goes, I have several thoughts as to how
you can go about doing this as independently as possible. I am sure there
will most likely be people on this email list who may not necessarily
believe that using sighted guide is a form of independent travel. However, I
feel as though using sighted guide is simply just another tool that can be
used when trying to get around in unfamiliar places. As someone with another
disability in addition to my blindness, I find myself using sighted guide
more often these days as sometimes it is just easier to have someone else
guide me to where I want to go instead of trying to receive directions from
other people.

If the organization is not willing to provide someone to help you navigate
the hotel, you could check with the hotel to see if they might be able to
provide someone to help you navigate hotel. Sometimes hotels can be rather
gracious with the service they are willing to provide you as a guest in
their hotel. You can always offer a tip in exchange for the services you
receive from the hotel staff.

However, another approach you could take is to select the sessions you are
interested in attending, and arrive to the conference registration area
early to ask for a general description of the layout of the hotel conference
rooms. This technique worked well for me when I attended a non-blindness
related disability conference last fall. The person behind me in the
registration line needed to go through her packet of information to see
which conference sessions she was interested in attending were located. So
we went through the packet together. When we discovered that we would not be
attending the same conference sessions, she asked someone else she knew what
conference sessions she would be attending to see if they would match up
with mine. As luck would have it, this other person was interested in
attending the same conference sessions as me, so we were able to go to them
together.

Even when you do not know someone, you can always ask the people around you
which conference sessions they are interested in attending. I am sure many
people would enjoy a companion to join them on their journey to the
conference session. However, for times when you cannot find someone who is
going to the same conference session as you, knowing the name of the
conference room or section of the hotel where the conference session is
located can be very helpful in finding this location. You can always ask
people to give you directions to where it is that you want to go, and you
can always stop and ask people if you are going in the right direction or
the confirmation of the name of a conference room as you pass by them on
your journey to where you want to be.

Perhaps in time you will become more confident and comfortable with your
travel skills as you attend more professional conferences, but in the
meantime, do not feel uncomfortable asking other people for assistance when
you need it. Personally, I feel as though the main point of attending
conferences, regardless of what kind they may be, is to gain more knowledge
regarding the subject area of the conference and hopefully meet new people.
I find asking others for assistance navigating unfamiliar places allows me
to focus more on soaking up the information presented in the conference
sessions, and in some cases, helps me to meet new people.

Anyway, these are simply my thoughts regarding the message you posted to the
email list. I hope you find them to be helpful. However, I am sure other
people will most likely have other thoughts on integrating themselves as a
person with a disability into their chosen profession as well as attending
professional conferences. Other NFB email lists where you may receive
additional responses to your email include the young professionals email
list and the social science email list. I do not believe either one of these
email lists are very active, but they may help provide you with some more
perspectives than what you may find here on the student email list.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth