[nabs-l] Readers

Sherry Pablo spnfb14 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:24:51 UTC 2016

Hi Anna,

I am also a Biology major and had those exact same questions when I
went back to school after losing my sight. By this time, I was only
taking upper division science courses like Biochemistry, Immunology,
and Molecular Endocrinology, so I can relate to your needs of having a
reader who understands the material and can explain it well.

There were a few ways I found readers. Once, my DOR counselor referred
one to me who was vendorized with the state I live in. There were
times the volunteer notetaker in my class agreed to work with me every
couple of weeks to go over material I had questions on. Sometimes, I
would work with my classmates in a study group; this was usually
before a big exam. There were a couple of times that I was directed to
someone known by the DSS office who tutored someone in the past.
Another time, I posted a job listing on the student job website for my
school advertising for a science reader, listing the specific classes
and help I needed. Another great resource is your professor's office
hours if they have them. A couple of my professors would stay after
class to answer my questions.

Understanding the material as best as you can will help in managing
time with a reader, especially if they are being paid. I usually can't
do more than 3 hours with a reader at one time. I typically met with
someone twice a week, depending on the number of classes I was taking
and the difficulty of the material. Also, if you will be working with
someone throughout the semester, give them a copy of your syllabus if
they are not in the class so they know what topics you will be
covering each week. My reader liked to prepare a little by skimming
through her old notes or a textbook. And, always let them know what
goals you want to accomplish for that day's meeting.

Hope this helps,
Sherry