[nabs-l] Database accessibility

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 23:38:09 UTC 2016

Hi all,

The recent discussion on academic challenges has got me thinking.
Especially for those of you who are in fields where reesearch is an
important part of what you are/will be doing following college, how do
you navigate around inaccessible databases online?  I have a working
system in place with disability services to tide me over through the
remainder of my undergraduate career including my required internship
after graduation, but thinking long-term I'm concerned about this
issue being problematic if I ever decide to do research on my own, or
am invited by colleagues to participate in a study.  I obviously would
want to do my fair share of lit reviews if that were the case, so I'd
love to hear if anyone has tips or tricks that go beyond using
resources from the disability services office at your university.

I should add that I am still trying to figure out an accessible way to
access my professional organization's journals online, which is a huge
part of this problem I think.  The database I find the most helpful is
from Temple University but it links directly to these journal articles
in many cases, which is the major hang-up there.  On a more short-term
note, one of the things my professors want me to do is to expand the
sources I use for research papers since I tend to rely on the
tried-and true databases and resources that I have the least amount of
hassle in reading.  I completely understand where they're coming from
and why having information from a variety of sources would lend
credence to evidence.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Kaiti Shelton