[nabs-l] Is This a Typical Request for Disability Services?

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 07:57:29 UTC 2016

I also had my DSO offer to have someone help me orient myself before the start of my freshmen year of college (too many years ago). That person helped me for one or two days, maybe three. They would have been available if I had a specific question about a route, but not to walk me to my classes every day.

I certainly did get lost several times those first few weeks, but so did all freshmen. It was normal to stop someone and ask where a building was, normal for an older student to offer to show a group of freshmen where to go by walking part of the way, etc. I went to a small private school though, and that may not be so typical on a larger campus.

If you are going to request this accommodation, I recommend you limit it to the first day you have each of your classes, or at most the first week. For me, my concerns about getting lost were a great catalyst for making friends in my classes early on. I would ask people where they were headed next after class and if they were heading in the same direction, I would ask to walk with them as far as our paths went the same way. This also motivated me to make friends with people in my dorm. I looked for people who might have a 9:00 AM class in the same building or in a building close to the building I needed and asked if we could walk together, at least at the beginning. You don’t want to be wholly dependent on these people of course, but it is a perfectly natural way to connect with others and learn your way at the same time.

On a related note, my difficulties navigating the dining hall lead me to invite people to grab lunch after class etc. I got turned down plenty of times of course, but it was a good way to connect with people and learn my campus without them really even knowing it. Upon reflection, I probably would have benefited from better travel skills, but I made it work and developed some cool relationships in the process.

Anyway, that’s just my take on it. I probably gave you more than you were asking for but I hope some of this helps.

Best of luck with starting school this fall.

-Greg