[nabs-l] A question about something my rehab counselor said

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 01:28:43 UTC 2016

Hi Sami,

I have attended two different schools as an undergrad, and almost
know one at either of them took more than four classes a semester
(many people only took two or three).  This is partly because at
both schools I attended most people worked, so if you don't have
anything to do other than school, you might be able to take more
classes.  The number of credits also matters.  At the school
where I got my BA, nearly all classes were four credits, and you
had to get special permission to take more than 16 credits, so
nearly everyone took either four classes or three if they worked
a lot.  My other school had a lot of three credit classes, but
there were four credit ones too, so most people took four classes
which usually came to thirteen or fourteen credits.  Keep in mind
that college (at least if you have a good professor) isn't high
school.  You should be doing between two and three hours of
homework for every hour you spend in class (more if it's a
language, music, or STEM class).  The time you spend on your
classes will also spike around midterms, finals, and the end of
the semester when papers are due.  Your rehab counselor of course
should not make you take a different number of classes from what
you want to take, but keep in mind that all of our taxes are
going to pay for your classes, so if you're going in seriously
considering dropping a class and leaving us tax payers with the
bill, just don't.  W's by the way do mean something.  They're not
as bad as F's, so if you have a choice between failing and taking
the W, take the W, but you don't want more than a couple on your
transcript.  I think the suggestion that others have made of
talking to an academic advisor at your school is an excellent
one.  If students at your school typically take five classes in
their first semester and do well, your advisor should tell you
that, and you can take that information to your rehab counselor.
If the advisor says that students typically don't take that many
classes at all or start with fewer to get used to college,
perhaps you should rethink things.

HTH,
Karl