[nabs-l] Question about SSI

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 3 14:42:14 UTC 2016

Hi Vejas and all,

I personally don't think that it is necessary to indicate to
Social Security that you're living in the dorm.  The reason is
that I've also been attending a blindness training center here in
New York that is only an hour away from my house, and go home
every weekend.  I have my home address for SSI, so that's where
they send my monthly benefits to.  I have never had any problems
with that; Social Security has never confronted me about what I
do with my checks.  The only thing they have contacted me about
was to go to a meeting back in May so that they could have proof
of my blindness and hard of hearing.

So in summary, even though I live in the dorm at the training
center (although like you I'll be finishing in two weeks and
going back home for the summer), I still have my home address for
receiveing my SSI benefits since it's only an hour away and since
I go home on weekends.  By the way, I'll be doing the same for
college in the fall, because my college is also only about 15-20
minutes away from my house, and I'll also be living in the dorm
during the week and going home on weekends.

I hope this helps and have a great first weekend in June!

Thanks,

Sami