[nabs-l] My Blindness Philosophy is Better than Yours

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:42:33 UTC 2016

I think what’s missing from this discussion is that some of these so
called perks, and I don’t think that’s the best term, are meant more
to make things run smoothly than to make your life easier.

Pre-boarding is done to give those who take a little longer to get
settled a chance to get on the plane when it is less crowded. The
result is that everyone gets settled faster than they would if
pre-boarding did not exist or if no one took advantage of it. You
could argue that blind people don’t take any longer to get settled. I
think you’d be wrong, and I’d be willing to bet a large sum of money
that in a controlled experiment, you would find that blind people, on
average, take longer than sighted people, on average, to find a seat,
store luggage, and get settled on a crowded plane. Note the words “on
average”. Certainly some blind people are faster than some sighted
people. Overall, though, pre-boarding gets everyone on the plane
faster, saving everyone’s time and the airline’s money.

Same goes for buses, trains, etc.

I think something similar is true of priority seating and lineup
arrangements, though there are other reasons why a blind person might
choose to take advantage of these accommodations. Consider lineups,
with very little vision, it is possible to comfortably and efficiently
navigate a lineup on your own. As long as you can make out whether
someone is standing two feet in front of you, you’re good to go. If
you cannot see the person in front of you though, lineups can be very
awkward. I’d be interested in the strategies of the totally blind.
I’ve heard it suggested that you can gently rest your cane against the
foot of the person in front of you. Sorry, but I think if the goal is
to avoid having blind people look strange or awkward, then this
technique, which I would argue requires an invasion of someone else’s
space, is probably not the best approach. In some cases, avoiding the
lineup altogether is probably the more graceful approach.

As for seating, it’s not unusual for someone to stand and offer me a
seat on city buses. When the bus is very crowded and I’m not going a
long distance, I may politely decline the offer. After all, my legs
are fine. Things are slightly more complicated with the dog now, but
in general I have no problem with standing on a moving bus. The
challenge is knowing when a seat has opened up. For example, there may
be no open seats when I board a bus, I decline the offered seat
because I can stand like anyone else, but then two stops later a seat
opens up six rows back. I of course don’t have any way of knowing this
short of regularly asking those around me. So I continue to stand as
seats become available around me. Not only is this sort of strange
looking, it actually does interfere with how efficiently other
passengers are able to get on and off the bus. So as I said, in some
cases I’ll decline the offer, but for the most part, I’ll accept,
knowing that the other person is likely going to have an easier time
finding another seat, and that this arrangement is not only easier for
me, but it generally improves how smoothly the trip goes for all
passengers.

One caveat to all of this, if you want to do things on your own, even
if it means slowing things down a bit, of course you should be able to
do that. So I’m not saying blind people should be forced to pre-board,
avoid lineups, and take the offered seat. Just like the person in the
grocery store who insists on digging through pockets or purses to come
up with exact change has a right to take longer than I do by simply
tapping my credit card. If you want to do things your way, all the
power to you. I would just say that this does not necessarily lead to
better perceptions of blind people, and that there are good reasons
why someone might opt to take advantage of something offered, even
though the accommodation isn’t required in the strictest sense.

Marc