[nabs-l] Counselor at training centers during summer

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 07:22:17 UTC 2016

Hi Shikha,

I can relate to this as I have struggled in the past to confidently
sell my accomplishments in an interview.  A few recommendations:

1. Your school should have a career center.  They can practice mock
interviews with you.
2. If you are looking to work on general poise when speaking, then I
would recommend taking a public speaking class or something similar.
I took one in undergrad and found it helped my ability to speak
clearly and concisely.
3. Remember that interview space is different than the real world.
You must be polite of course, but you want to give the potential
employer a reason to hire you.  Don't sell yourself short, and don't
be humble about the experience you have.
4. If you are going to convention, it might not hurt to stop into the
job fair and the job seekers seminars.  I know there are a couple
employers on that list who offer to give mock interviews, and the
other job seminars may have useful tips for you.

It's always worth applying again.  I applied for my current summer
position last summer as well but did not get it until this year.  Good
luck!